Two Boston City Council stalwarts have been voted out. Fourteen-term, 32-year Councilor Charles Yancey, was defeated by newcomer Andrea Campbell, while 18-year Councilor Stephen Murphy was came up short in the at-large race, replaced by Annissa Essaibi George.
In District 4, Campbell won 61 percent of the vote, defeating Yancey 4,309 to 2,699.
Citywide, Councilor Ayanna Pressley topped the five-candidate field with 24 percent of the more than 131,000 votes cast.
Boston City Council At-Large Results
- Ayanna Pressley: 24.21%
- Michelle Wu: 22.02%
- Michael Flaherty : 20.17%
- Annissa Essaibi George : 17.86%
- Stephen Murphy: 14.89%
After victories won by incumbents running unopposed, like South Boston's Bill Linehan and East Boston's Sal LaMattina, the council will comprise the following members.
Boston City Council
- District 1: Sal LaMattina, East Boston
- District 2: Bill Linehan, South Boston
- District 3: Frank Baker, Dorchester
- District 4: Andrea Campbell, Mattapan
- District 5: Timothy McCarthy, Readville
- District 6: Matt O'Malley, Jamaica Plain
- District 7: Tito Jackson, Roxbury
- District 8: Josh Zakim, Back Bay
- District 9: Mark Ciommo, Allston-Brighton
- At-Large: Ayanna Pressley, Dorchester
- At-Large: Michelle Wu, Roslindale
- At-Large: Michael Flaherty, South Boston
- At-Large: Annissa Essaibi George, Dorchester