The manager of The One Fund Boston said he has not ruled out compensation for the businesses affected by the Boston Marathon bombings.
Possible compensation for businesses depends on how much money is left over after victims with physical injuries and family members of those who died in the bombings have received compensation, Kenneth Feinberg, the attorney who was appointed to oversee The One Fund, told WGBH's Jim Braude and Margery Eagan during an interview with Boston Public Radio Thursday.
"We have focused, naturally, on lost loved ones and physical injuries," Feinberg said. "What about mental trauma? What about those people on the street who saw these severed limbs and the horrific tragedy. Should they be eligible? What about business owners and the community on Boylston Street that have been shut down and unable to open because of these ... bombings?"
Feinberg said he plans to hold town hall meetings before he finalizes the protocol that will govern the distribution of the funds.
Since Gov. Deval Patrick and Boston Mayor Thomas Menino created the The One Fund Boston last week, it has amassed more than $23 million in donations. Patrick and Menino asked Feinberg to oversee the fund. Feinberg oversaw compensation funds for the victims of the BP Gulf Coast oil spill, as well as the victims of the 9/11 terrorist attacks.
Listen to the full interview here: