A Massachusetts prosecutor says a 49-year-old convicted sex offender has been indicted on charges that he sexually abused 13 young children in the care of his wife's child care business and videotaped the acts.
Middlesex District Attorney Gerard Leone called the case the worst he has seen. Leone said Thursday the alleged victims of John Burbine, of Wakefield, ranged from 8 days to 3½ years old, and many were assaulted while Burbine was caring for them in their homes. He said Burbine has been in custody since late September as authorities investigated. He faces more than 100 criminal counts.
Reacting to the charges, Governor Deval Patrick said he continues to support making the identities of level 1 sex offenders available to the public.
John Burbine of Wakefield was classified as a Level 1 sex offender after being convicted in 1989 of indecent assault and battery on a child. Level 1 offenders are considered the least likely to re-offend.
Governor Patrick filed legislation last year that would have made information on Level 1 offenders available to the public instead of just the police, but the bill never came up for a vote.
Material from the Associated Press was used in this report.